Thursday, October 9, 2014

Thankfulness Thursday Week 41 of 2014

Today is October 9th.

Today I am thankful for Levothyroxine.

Several years ago I had routine blood work done and found out that my thyroid level was low (hypothyroidism). I had no symptoms. My doctor started me on Synthroid. I started at a normal (to most people) dose. After a few days I was aching all over and just wanted to stay in bed. I went back to my doctor to discuss my symptoms and he changed the medication to levothyroxine. I still had aches he then referred me to an endocrinologist. I was not aware of any history of thyroid disease in my family other than my mother's first cousin and her daughter. The endocrinologist did an ultrasound and diagnosed Hashimoto's Disease. Your antibodies attack your thyroid and kill it off. Your thyroid produces more to counteract the antibodies but it is not enough. The endocrinologist started me on a low dose and gradually increased the dosage every 6 months. WOW the thyroid controls so many things. It is different for everyone. I have varying symptoms and I blame a lot of things on my thyroid. I struggled at first about the idea of being required to take a pill every day for the rest of my life. It was (I guess) a loss of control. I must awake and take this pill every morning with a full glass of water and then wait an hour before I can have anything else. I sometimes do not even get my morning cup of coffee because of the other things that need to get done. I am thankful for medicines that help to keep our bodies regulated.

No comments:

Post a Comment